What is the adoption process?
- Read the dog's profile carefully.
- Determine if you and the dog are a good match.
- Review the NON-BINDING online application to make sure you have all the requested information and phone numbers.
- Complete the online application. PLEASE NOTE THAT WE CAN ONLY ACCEPT APPLICATIONS FROM THE FOLLOWING AREAS: The state of Maryland, Washington, DC and the surrounding DC metropolitan area, Baltimore and the surrounding metropolitan area, the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia (Jefferson, Morgan and Berkeley Counties) and Northern Virginia.
- You will receive a confirmation that your application has been received within 24 hours. If you do not receive the confirmation, please contact before resubmitting your application. Please note: Our Petfinder listings make it clear that some dogs are not ours, but are instead courtesy postings for other rescues. If we receive an email or application about another rescue's dog, we forward such emails on to the appropriate rescue, but cannot be responsible for their response time.
- If your application is not a good match for the dog, we will send you an email declining your application, along with reasons, within 48 hours of receipt of the application. All decisions are final.
- If your application is a possible match, we will contact your vet for a reference. Please make sure that you provide several years' worth of vet information, not merely your most recent vet. This is very important; if you do not provide your vets' phone numbers in a timely manner, we cannot process your application. IF YOU ARE A FIRST-TIME PET-OWNER, YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO PROVIDE A VET REFERENCE but we will ask you, separate from the application, for 3 personal references.
- We will contact you with the results of your references. If the references are unsatisfactory, you will be alerted to this. If they are satisfactory, we will contact you to discuss the dog and to arrange a home visit.
- Once the home visit is completed, we will arrange for you to meet the dog.